Issue No. 109September 2021
Microsoft’s Latest OS Brings Greater Integration
The latest version of Microsoft’s Operating System, Windows 11, will begin to be widely available to consumers beginning October 5th, 2021. Microsoft is rolling Windows 11 out as a free upgrade to eligible systems, and envisions the upgrade being available to anyone (with a computer capable of running the OS) by mid-2022.
Windows 11 offers a host of features, geared towards consumers and IT professionals alike, designed to improve productivity and flow. These features include:
- A redesigned start menu: The new start menu leverages the cloud to show you recent files no matter what device you’re viewing them on.
- Integrated Teams Chat: Microsoft Teams will now be integrated directly into the taskbar, providing a faster way to connect with people.
- Reimagined widgets: a new personalized feed provides fast access to information you care about.
- More inclusive design: Windows 11 is the most inclusively designed version of Windows yet, with new accessibility improvements built for and by people with disabilities.
- Improved optimization for touch, digital pen, and voice input.
Microsoft has also announced that they will be relaunching their PC Health Check app, which will allow you to check if your current PC will be eligible for a free upgrade to Windows 11. IT professionals will also see enhancements to Microsoft Endpoint Manager that will allow them to assess their organizations readiness for Windows 11.
If you’ve made it thus far and are thinking “But I just upgraded to Windows 10,” fear not! Microsoft has also announced that they will continue to support Windows 10 until October of 2025, with a new feature update coming later this year. This means that if you’re not ready to upgrade, there is no immediate need to do so.
KTS’ engineering team has already begun testing of Windows 11 internally and our results have been positive. If you’re interested in making the jump once the OS is launched and available this October, please reach out to our engineering team!