For a while, I was unable to get CRM 4.0 installed because I kept running into an error stating that the “registerasyncserviceaction” failed. I tried numerous things to resolve this issue including checking registry permissions, service permissions, completely removing all traces of CRM and starting from scratch, etc…nothing worked!
Finally, I came across something in the Application event log which initially seemed completely unrelated. It was event id 3012 and 3011 from LoadPerf. It basically said that the performance counter registry strings were invalid. After researching this error, I found that the solution was to rebuild the Perf Counter strings using the command “lodctr /r”. The command took a little while but once it was completed I was able to reinstall CRM without a hitch!